Thursday, September 17, 2015

Dreams: Premonition, the Subconscious and other Theories

Exactly four (4) years ago, September 17, I had a dream that I can not forget. I was standing in a very bright, all white place. Then I saw my grandfather. He held me close to him then he smiled at me. Suddenly, he turned around and walked away without saying anything. He slowly faded away and my vision was just all white and became even brighter. Then I woke up with tears in my eyes.

At that time, my grandfather was in a vegetative state due to complications because he was already suffering from stage 4 prostate cancer. Later that day, we went to the hospital to visit lolo. It was just like a regular, ordinary visiting day. We came there to see him, said "Hi", "kamusta", and even if he was unable to respond, we know he heard us. We had no idea that it was the last day that we are going to see him breathing. We went on doing our usual stuff, had dinner beside him and when we were about to go home, he had cardiac arrest. He was revived, vital signs became normal again and then we left. While we were still on the road, we were called up from the hospital because my grandfather had another arrest. So we went back. The moment we, the family, were already complete to see him, he breathed his last. My lolo left us to be with our God in heaven. Just like what happened in my dream earlier that day.

 I don't know whether that incident, my grandfather's death, is related to my dream or it was just a coincidence. Did lolo bid me goodbye in that dream? Did it suggest anything that is going to happen later that day? Was it a premonition? There are psychic studies that tells us that we can acquire information of an upcoming or future event through our dreams even before that event happens. If this is right, then maybe I had a premonition of my grandfather's death? Maybe.

Sometimes, no matter how good or bad our dream is, it would leave us wondering what that dream means. I remember during our psychology class, we were taught that our dreams is the product of what lies in our subconscious mind. According to Sigmund Freud, "dreams are the manifestations of urges and desires that we keep suppressed in the realm of our subconscious... our subconscious desires include those that we don't want to admit..." If this theory is correct, therefore, we dream of the things or events we deny in our conscious mind.

Oftentimes, there would be someone who keep appearing in our dreams. Does seeing someone in our
dreams mean he/she is someone we deny in our conscious mind? Is he or she the desire we keep in our subconscious mind? Hmm. I recall someone told me that the person we see in our dreams is the person who misses us. She said, it was according to the Reader's Digest. I went over the internet searching about this. I read somewhere that it must be true if they are soulmates. The minds of the dreamer and person in his/her dream had a connection through that dream. Wow. Could it be possible that the one we dreamed of is missing us? I hope so.

I believe that there are a lot of theories regarding dreams. And if I study dreams further, it would really be mind boggling for me.

Again, today, September 17, marks the 4th Death Anniversary of our Lolo Tony. And we, we all miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment