Friday, December 28, 2012

One More Try: A Review


          Family drama has been a favorite genre by Filipino moviegoers. That probably is the reason why every year, a movie theme like this has been included as an entry in the Metro Manila Film Festival along with fantasy filled movies of Vic Sotto. I remember in previous years, movies like Tanging Yaman and the Mano Po Saga were Box Office hits during the period of the festival. And for this year, Star Cinema brought us this kind of film with their movie entry, One More Try.

 
          On its third day, I was finally able to catch One More Try in cinemas. It stars four of the brightest stars in our generation; Angelica Panganiban, Dingdong Dantes, Zanjoe Marudo and Angel Locsin. 

          It is a family drama filled with romance as it focuses on a sick child that brought up complications from the past among his parents, Grace (Angel) who is already in a relationship with Tristan (Zanjoe) and Edward (Dingdong) who is already married with Jacq (Angelica). Grace and Edward had to reconnect in order to save their son.

          Angelica Panganiban’s portrayal as the loving wife who has everything except from bearing a child suits her well. The balance of being a kontrabida and a wife who had to sacrifice just to see her husband happy was perfectly executed. Although I really find her scene with Agot Isidro talking in a straight English awkward.

          Zanjoe Marudo, who I’m used to see in a comedy film, showed he can also do drama. With the interpretation of his character, I felt how full of insecurities Tristan is. 

           Dingdong Dantes, who is already known as a good actor, was just okay. I thought he was able to perform exactly what was being asked from him for his character. I also love how he and Angelica dresses pretty good throughout the movie.

          And for Angel Locsin, with a very ideal role from the script, I believe she stood out from the rest. Coming from movies like In The Name of Love and UnOfficially Yours, Angel showed another side of her versatility as an actress. With this, her latest film, I can say Angel just keeps on getting better and better. As a mother of a dying child, she flawlessly delivered her character. I love how she pulls off the right emotion to every situation in her scenes, Nakakadala. That scene where she has get on her knees and beg without saying any word, was rightfully made.


          What I also love about the film is its cinematography. I like how every scene and even their location was perfectly shot. It showed a western-like part of Baguio which we rarely see in Filipino movies. 

         Although I didn’t cry even a single tear (Ako na may problema doon), the movie was really good. It offers moviegoers something new. I just hope, they didn’t include some of those MTV-like-scenes, where the lead stars have to shed tears while the music was playing. I thought it wasn’t essential or needed anymore.

  Feminist, that's how the story has had me oriented with Angelica and Angel's characters; one who is willing to give everything for her husband's happiness and one who's going to do anything for her sick child. Both being firm with their decisions, they dominated the male characters in the story. And with their portrayal, I can say Angel and Angelica deserve to be recognized with an acting award.
 


3 comments:

  1. It was amazing, I am a huge fan of Angel Locsin!!!!!!! One More Try phenomenal film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an Angel Locsin fan too! That's why i love seeing Angel in this movie as she emerges as an actress. :)

      Delete